Sinister: Belle & Scottish

plaird plaird at xxx.uk
Fri Mar 6 01:42:15 GMT 1998

Tara Widmer said:
>A Scottish (Glasgwegian, in fact) friend of mine insists that there is a
>Scottish language - not Gaelic, but SCOTTISH.  He said it is hundreds of
>years old and virtually extinct, although he was involved in a society
>of some sort dedicated to resurrecting it... we were looking at
>something re: this on the Internet once cos he was trynna prove to me
>what he was saying wasn't a load of crap.... tho since no-one on the
>list has said anything to this effect, now I'm beginning to wonder!

I was the one who started the Gaelic/Scottish language thing to do
with the B&S setlist language blunder.
I originally come from Banffshire (that's in Scotland for you non
UK-ers) where we speak DORIC (a very strong dialect), which, in
written form, is pretty near to 'Old Scottish' (with some very
local words). As far as I know there is a society dedicated to
the less used Lowland variety (for you non-Scottish types that's
the populated bit from Glasgow to Edinburgh)

Somehow I don't think Belle & Sebastian would write in any
version of Scottish.

Imagine that!!!
It's already bad enough with B&S being described as Folk-Pop.
Writing in Scottish they would then become Super-Folky.

I've never liked the music journo habit of describing singers or
groups as 'folk'. I think they forget that there might be a local
folk music tradition. B&S certainly don't sound folk in the
Scottish sense (thank God or whatever).

I think I've been watching too much Discovery Channel.

I'm off to dream of horses (maybe).

The Laird of East Fountainbridge.

"An Egg is good for you" - THE EGG Marketing Board