Sinister: John Denver/Father Ted

Martin Conneely Martin_Conneely at finance.irlgov.ie
Fri Mar 6 13:24:41 GMT 1998

1.     IYFS says that
"Hilary went to the Catholic Church because she wanted information
The vicar, or whatever" It's a beautifully dismissive way of putting it.  But
as we all know, it's priest/Father.  Which brings me to Father Ted (rather weak
B&S link, but better than no B&S content).  The latest issue of HOT PRESS
(Dublin, Ireland) says that Brian Eno will appear as a priest in the final
episode of the final series of Ted.  It even shows a photo of him in his
clerical togs.  Quite a sight.

2.     <"One of them was "Leaving on a jet-plane" (Don't laugh you bastards!!),
don't ask me :who wrote this 'cos I'm hopeless at anything pre '77.

Erm, John Denver...also wrote " Annies song" which makes me go all goose<

Although John D wrote it, the "popular" version was by Peter, Paul and Mary
(some of whom had different real names!).  I remember that the B-side of their
version had very good lyrics - if I can still remember after 25 years they must
have been.

Martin C

"Because I could not stop for death
He kindly stopped for me"
  Emily Dickinson
(this is the kind of verse that cheers up us old folk