Sinister: Storm Damage

Adrian Evans aevans at xxx.uk
Fri Mar 6 14:21:06 GMT 1998

>Keith Watsonians wrote :

>Assuming Adrian, your school assemblies didn't involve you lot howling out
>the Anti-Nowhere League's version of this song, then "Streets of London" is
>Ralph McTell's 1974 hit. Ralph McTell was a singer on the late sixties/early
>seventies folk circuit and knew Nick Drake and John Martyn and suchlike - he
>probably knew Sally Oldfield too pop pickers :-)
>"Streets of London" was his only hit, and in the early 80's he lent his
>deadpan drawl, and habit of wandering around with his hands in his pockets,
>to co-present a kids program.
>As mentioned before, second generation daft punksters the Anti-Nowhere
>League did a curaazzeee cover of "Street's of London" in 1982. It was
>crap... and it certainly wasn't funny.

>Cheers,
>    Keith.

Thankyou Keith, you are indeed a credit to Public Service Broadcasts.
The song is wonderful, and I think if you were to be a one-hit wonder then this would have to be the one.  I'm glad I haven't heard the latter version.

>Adam wrote :

>This famed socio-political ballad was by the esteemed folkie and
>Childrens TV presenter Ralph Mactell. It was called simply "Streets Of
>London".

Two responses, blimey we're on the ball today.

>Alan wrote :

>Erm, John Denver...also wrote " Annies song" which makes me go all goose
>bumpy...there's a New order link to this one, 'cos they were accused of
>stealing part of "leaving..." on "run" from the "technique" album, a court
>case they lost if i remember rightly...

Three responses, what wonderful people we are !!!
I'll have to check out the New Order link tonight,  didn't they lose every court case they were involved in !!!  I think they must have used the subtle Peter Hook as a solicitor or summat !!
I remember the John Denver one now as it was the cause of countless sick jokes following his sad departure from this mortal coil.

I'm surprised there aren't more New Ordery people on this list.  Obviously these days one has to view them in a different light, but I can't get over the similarities I draw between them and the Belles and the Sebastians.  Maybe it is because I was 13 when I started listening to NO and I haven't really felt that way about a band until BS.  They just instil that feeling of youth and happiness underlined by the bands obvious carefree attitudes.

>Rob B wrote :

>> "the streets of london" by "whistling" Roger Whittaker i believe...
>>

>that's what I thought, but no-one else seems to agree.  ol' Rog was great
>wasn't he - he's not the type of person you admit you like though... shame

In the words of Jeffery Wheeler..."We have a difference of Opinion"
(One for Peter Miller).

Roger Whittaker eh ?  Durham Town.......smashing !!
You admit what you like Rob, we have no shame round here.

Lucy Croxford.