Sinister: Sprechen Sie Scottisch?

PKHINTZ PKHINTZ at xxx.com
Fri Mar 6 23:16:45 GMT 1998

Yesterday in the hundred acre wood, you wrote:

<<I was the one who started the Gaelic/Scottish language thing to do
with the B&S setlist language blunder.>>

	No, I must confess; it was me who began this language thread when I wrote
that I thought the setlist would be written in Scottish.  I believe the error
comes from my non-use of some little face (ie. ;-)) or the wonderful squiggle
(~) for sarcasm.  I did write a message explaining this, but I counted to ten
and thought that I had best delete it.  I took the squiggle a wee bit too near
the nasty side for my own comfort--blame it on writing late at night.  When I
was in Scotland, everyone I met did speak English--and I was also relieved to
learn that no one wore furs or painted their faces blue anymore.  [In this
case, I will use
the face  ;-)  to denote that that sentence was written with humourous
intent.]
I did not make a blunder; I was being cheeky.  It all went wrong somewhere.

	I knew someone during the fall who was from Switzerland; she would ask people
what language they speak in her country.  To upset her, the answer given
should be Swiss.  Then she would launch into a narrative of Swiss history and
culture.  Some people would say Swiss just to upset her.  I was more than
surprised to learn that she spent the first seven years of her life in the US,
before moving.  I asked her about it--and she told me she had only vague
memories of that time in her life.  I thought it more than a little suspicious
that she had little memory of seven years!  Now she writes me letters, in
English, that she is bored in the Alps.  I would not mind being bored in the
Alps.  :-)

	My dubiously Swiss friend also thought that I _only_ listened to Belle and
Sebastian.  Whenever she asked me what I was listening to on my walkman, it
would be B&S.  She stopped asking after a while; she already knew the answer.

			Living and loving
					Matthew