Sinister: Keith's inner turmoil

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Sun Mar 8 10:57:31 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
De: Honey <honey at Majordomo.net>
Para: sinister at majordomo.net <sinister at majordomo.net>
Fecha: sábado 7 de marzo de 1998 20:50
Asunto: Re: Sinister: Keith: Is he or isn't he?

>Exactly - as Susannah pointed out Keith's just trying to shag someone
>famous.  He tried it with Roger Whittaker and now he's trying it with
>someone else.  I thought the story was a nice comment on this silly
>ongoing debate about is-he isnt-he, almost as if someone's been following
>it on the list and giggling at it.

I enjoyed the story too. I don't think anyone was offended.
In keeping with the clear speech campaign, here's my humble opinion:
That supposedly gay song never struck me as being gay at all until someone
pointed it out. The first thing that ever struck me about B&S was the use of
the word "confessed" at the beginning of The State I Am In. I thought oooh
you'll get into trouble for that. But I was wrong. Perhaps when people
refuse to be drawn on their own sexuality it's to avoid being portrayed as
Motley Crue types who say "there are no faggots in this band!". Apologies to
Motley Crue if it wasn't them.
Anyway, if anyone is even slightly interested in this kind of thing, I
heartily recommend the Faber Book of Pop. I know I tend to go on and on, but
it really is a good read, putting "pop" music in a wider context. It's also
quite...hmmm....refreshing(?) to read about people who don't usually figure
in lengend-based music books, people like Sylvester of You Make Me Feel
Mighty Real fame. Plenty of stories that make you stop and think. Which may
or may not be a good idea, but I personaaly think it's better than the usual
rock history books. The Village People story in this month's Mojo magazine
is good too. It also contains photos of our old friend Bert Jansch. It would
appear that he does exist after all. Which is more than can be said for any
of the folk records that they rave over. After a hard day's rifling through
record racks I found absolutely none of them. The only thing I found was a
folk compilation with Billy Connolly on it, some song about wellies, so that
was that.
That was a hint...

Yours in emotional drainage,

Peter