Sinister: damn, damn , damn

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Tue Mar 10 19:47:33 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
De: poetryplace2 <poetryplace2 at easynet.co.uk>
Para: sinister at majordomo.net <sinister at majordomo.net>
Fecha: martes 10 de marzo de 1998 15:24
Asunto: Sinister: damn, damn , damn

>Glyn Maxwell is the laureate of Welwyn Garden City. He's published 3
>collections to extraordinary acclaim... people have called him the new
>Auden, which is nice. To compound the Auden comparison he travelled to
>Iceland with fellow-poet Simon Armitage a while ago, following in the
>footsteps of Auden and MacNeice, and published a travelogue, "Moon
Country",
>which was rather good.

I'm not what you would call "drunk" but I am trying to maintain a Sinister
tradition by already having tucked into my second can of lager. Isn't it
good? Down to business....

That's all very nice, Trousers, but did they share a room?

>May he call for you in a lime-green van,
>    May his innermost thoughts be anyone's guest.
>May his answer to 'Who's your favourite band?'
>    Be the only occasion he answers 'YES,'
>But then may he add, 'When Wakeman was with 'em,'
>    And play you the evidence. May what he wears
>Never again be in vogue. May his mother
>    Dote, devote, and move in downstairs.

Trousers, is this some kind of sick joke? You made this up, didn't you?
You're just trying to make me look daft, aren't you?

My mother-in-law (who hasn't even got a downstairs) came to visit today.
Here's an ink polaroid:

This one's of me pretending to read the paper while my mother-in-law (name:
Mercedes, I kid you not) talks bollocks. She doesn't take the hint and
carries on talking and talking, despite the only other person in the room
burying his head in the paper, reading the same sentence over and over
again. My cover is finally blown when, in a rare moment of philosophical
ponderence, she suggests that you can't sell thoughts. "What do scientists
do?" I ask. "What do you think I do all day?" I enquire. "Oh yes, you're
right" she conceeds. Victory!!!

Bobby Chariot