Sinister: Alex Chilton/V-Twin

Julia Mary Brown 9503594b at xxx.uk
Wed Mar 11 12:22:16 GMT 1998

<I know I speak with all the zeal of a recent convert, but there is
<no denying the power of these  guys' music. Do any of you know what
<has become of Alex Chilton? The sleevenotes tell how Chris Bell died
<in a car crash but other than saying that Chilton was demoralised
<and out of music by the 80s nothing more was said.

I can come up with an etremely tenuous B&S link with Alex Chilton.
Here goes: V-Twin, the band that Chris Geddes sometimes plays
(played?) with, supported Alex Chilton when he last came to Glasgow
(though I couldn't go cause I was working- in a shop accross the
road from the venue, just to rub it in). I heard it that they got to
do it because Jason, the singer sent a tape of some of their songs to
Alex Chilton and he liked it a lot.  In fact they got on so well that
Jason and the guitarist (don't know his name) are supposedly going to
New Orleans to live in Alex Chilton's spare house.  You still see
them about Glasgow though, so they're not on their way yet.

And talking, well kind of, about B&S members extra-curricular
acivity, Mick Cook played with The Karelia when I saw them play a
couple of weeks ago.  He played trumpet on one song, and guitar on
the rest, but i got the idea he only played guitar so much  because
the singer couldn't- becuase he had cut his finger.  Does anyone know
anthing more about this?, that is Mick playing with The Karelia, not
the singer's cut finger.

And Keith, count me in for an Edinburgh picnic.  I think many of my
friends can be persuaded to attend.  When I told them about the
London picnic they said they wanted to go.  Yet they wouldn't go to
the Manchester gigs with me.  I don't know.

That's all, I think.
Love Juliaxx