Sinister: Video as Art

Ruth McCurry 100670.3522 at xxx.com
Wed Mar 11 12:19:52 GMT 1998

Saw some awesome videos yesterday.

First up was Cecil. Has anyone seen this? I don't remember a damn thing
about the song, I was staring so hard at the gruesome nature of the events
unfolding before my eyes. It's basically about this guy who goes around
vomiting electronic goods like mobile phones, camcorders, gameboys, etc.
The effects are pretty damn cool. The first video I've ever seen that made
me shout and scream.

Then tuned into Alternative Nation after Larry Sanders finished, and saw
the Arab Strap video (nice try but not much cop), and the Beta Band video
which is absolutely amazing. It's people in silly costumes going up a
mountain having been filmed coming down it backwards in reverse.
Complicated, I know. The effect is that you piss yourself laughing. Top
marks.

Bought the Hopkirk and Lee CD that was mentioned on the list about a week
ago. Well, they're not the new B&S, but it's a beautiful record
nevertheless. Hugely recommended. Who are they? Where do they come from?

Does anyone know anything about Michael Head and/or The Strands? I don't
want to rush out and buy it if it's some Blue Nile crap.

Someone asked about the UK release of Girlfriend in a Coma by Coupland. As
far as I know, it should be in the shops in two to three weeks. Priced
attractively at £9.99.

Is anyone going to see Guy Chadwick on Friday at the Garage? Let me know.

How come She's Losing It seems to be the most popular B&S song? It's cute,
sure, but it's not really what they do best, is it? Give me Judy or Fakers
any day.

That's enough now.

Lots of love

Camper Van Oaten (honest)