Sinister: Sound-alikes

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Thu Mar 12 10:46:54 GMT 1998

>Re the comments about the likelihood of being the only person to think
>"Sleep the Clock Around" sounds like a Stereolab song and david's
>response about B&S sound like B&S. It is somewhat strange to take
>exception to people commenting on one band sounding like another
>because it is a pretty harmless and occasionally even helpful activity. We
>all pick up little bits of the tunes we love in unexpected places. I was
>quite surprised to see Stereolab mentioned as being one of the groups
>influenced by Suicide in the Guardian, for example. 'if You're Feeling
>Sinister' the song, not the whole album, sounds like Love Is In the Air at
>least the bass does. Now I happen to think IYFS is far and away the
>better song, in fact LIINA is tosh, but I can still hear the similarity.

Indeed occassionally little things jump out at you and you think it sounds
like something else, often other people can't see it mind you. Sleep the
Clock Around I don't think sounds much like Stereolab, it's too good for a
start, but I can see where the guy is coming from, the repetitive bit. On
the other hand I don't find it difficult to see the Suicide influence on
Stereolab, that and Kraftwerk and several other German bands - having said
that i haven't bought a Stereolab record since 1993, and I hardly listened
to it then either.
    Some B+S songs I think do sound a bit like others but often it surprises
me the number of them that just don't. Personally I find the Nick Drake
comparison pretty shallow and simply based on their voices being vaguely
similar, same goes for Love, not really like Love at all, except Dog on
Wheels. Mayfly I think sounds like "Pleasant Valley Sunday", but I'll bet
no-one else thinks that.

Yours is no disgrace,
    Keith.