Sinister: Stereolab, cynicism

Reid Dossinger itstrue at xxx.net
Thu Mar 12 16:38:12 GMT 1998

And I thought no one would pay attention!

Okay, even though I'm just about dead from cynicism, let me just claify my
Stereolab/Sleep the Clock Around comparison.  The straight-ahead bass lines with the
matching drums are practically Stereolab trademarks, not to mention the arrangement
which has no verse or chorus and the repeated melody line.  Plus, Sleep the Clock
Around is (you have to admit) very unusual for a Belle and Sebastian song.  Most of
B&S's faster-paced songs have a soul or folk feel, but STCA has a total Stereolab feel,
and is definitely the product of the 1990's, which ,again is pretty unusual for Belle and
Sebastian.

Believe it or not, I'm on David's side about thinking that Belle and Sebastian sound like
Belle and Sebastian.  I'm certainly not saying that B&S are Stereolab rip-offs or anything,
but I don't think it's at all insulting to say that a band's song sounds like something else.
Just about everything (well...everything melodic and catchy) is going to sound vaguely
like something else, but that doesn't mean that it's not unique.

Hmmm...speaking of vague...

Apologies for being cynical.  I was actually just sort of joking around (with the harshness
at least) and, as we all know, it's pretty impossible to convey tone of voice in an email
message.

~Reid, most likely the only person on this list into College Hoops.  Go Heels!