Sinister: Sound-alikes

Mick McMick mick at xxx.com
Thu Mar 12 18:31:38 GMT 1998

Rob B wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Keith Watson wrote:
>
> >     Some B+S songs I think do sound a bit like others but often it surprises
> > me the number of them that just don't. Personally I find the Nick Drake
> > comparison pretty shallow and simply based on their voices being vaguely
> > similar, same goes for Love, not really like Love at all, except Dog on
> > Wheels.

	Well, listen to Bryter Layter and then listen to "Belle & Sebastian"
off of the Dog on Wheels EP... Besides, the guy who works at the record
store I bought IYFS at gave it a listen after I bought it, and after
never having heard anything about it, he remarked upon how it was
similar to Nick Drake, and then suggested I purchase some Nick Drake.
Certainly not exactly the same, but there are definately some
similarities. I think B&S definately have their own style which is very
different from that of Nick Drake or Felt or Love or McCarthy or Orange
Juice or whoever. But it's nice to pick out little bits and pieces of
things you love in their sound...

 /"\_/"\_/"\    Mick McMick - mick at indiepop.com - ICQ#5056758
 \         /    Sandcastle Records - sandcastlerecords at indiepop.com