Sinister: The Scotsman

Andrewnic Andrewnic at xxx.com
Fri Mar 13 09:58:55 GMT 1998

>From "The Scotsman" Friday 13th March 1998, CD Review:

Celebrity chef Nick Nairn's

LAST GOOD BUY

BELLE & SEBASTIAN
If You're Feeling Sinister
Jeepster, £15.99

They're a kind of a Nineties Simon and Garfunkel - but a bit funkier than
that. It's very quirky: on one of the tracks there's even a great stylophone
break. The lyrics are worth reading because they are quite strange in
themselves.
The whole album has a nice atmosphere and I find it very invigorating but also
quite mellow. You hear different things in it every time. The music in some
ways is quite simple but also quite rough. There's not a huge amount of
production on it, but in other ways it's quite sophisticated, there's a lot
going on. I just never tire of listening to it.