Sinister: Country

Rob B rewb2 at xxx.uk
Fri Mar 13 14:52:26 GMT 1998

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, John Bleasdale wrote:

> << 2. Could someone reccomend some really sad and slow country? >>
>
> Assuming I've interpreted your idea of "country" as music and not
> land-mass correctly, you may want to try Lambchop, Palace, Silver
> Jews, Vic Chesnutt and/or Smog which are the closest interesting
> music gets to being country (in my opinionated opinion).
> John

Get Lambchop's first (i think) album - it's called 'how i quit smoking' -
it's absolutely brilliant - it's got 'the man who loved beer' on it, which
is a swoon-inducingly gorgeous melange of slide guitars and deep drawling
vocals.  Plus they're the only band i've ever known to credit one of their
members exclusively to playing open-end wrenches and lacquer thinner can.
I'm not a great country fan, but this is fantastic.

Not much b&s content really.... hmm, actually lambchop have roughly as
many members as b&s (about 9 i think) - rather tenuous, but never mind.

rob xx