Sinister: 159 hours

Rob B rewb2 at xxx.uk
Fri Mar 13 15:02:04 GMT 1998

> More specifically B&S related content: one highlight of the chat for me
> (aside from Stuart David's incessant sarcasm and abrupt departure, of
> course) was the acknowledgement that "Lonliness of the Middle Distance
> Runner" will appear on one of the upcoming releases. That song is so
> incredibly beautiful. Is anyone else as smitten with it as I am?

yes yes yes - it's the best thing i've heard for ages.  i've been trying
to work out the lyrics, not very successfully so far - here's my feeble
effort - i'd appreciate any corrections from people more
aurally-proficient than myself...

The loneliness of the middle-distance runner

I take a second of the day to think about the things that we have done
this year
The darkness and the pouring rain, them underneath the smoke is where we
are together (?????)
The future's looking colourful, it's the colour of the chaos and
corruption of a happy soul
A happy soul will run in the field, run in the field, run in the field
'til the rain dies down.

The railway ticket states the destination but it doesn't mean, we will
show
There's a fork upon the line, we'll pay the guard to switch the sign, and
off we'll go
The future's looking wonderful, it's the wonder of the business-man, it's
currency (???) to sell your wares, but no-one cares
Oh you care I know, you care I know, you care I know, I forgot for a
while.

And on a sultry afternoon spent in this year you give yourself a headache
yeah.
So I take revenge in stories, and I'm dreaming of the time when we're on
stage
Have you seen the loneliness of the middle distance runner, as he stopped
the race and looked around, all at the stage I've seen it now
And walk to the station, walk to the station, walk to the station
Don't you follow me

well, that's my attempt anyway - i've worked out the chords as well if
anyone's interested.

rob xx