Sinister: chat moans - i'm sorry but....poo.

David & Katrina bluesoda at xxx.uk
Sat Mar 14 00:28:46 GMT 1998

Honey wrote:

> > The few times the band answered a question, whoever asked it seemed to
> > lost their voice in #jeepster and bythe time could type followup in
> > #sinister - the plot had been lost again.
>
> Oops - sorry.  All I can say is it was a horror to balance between
> long delays as the band didn't seem to want to answer some questions
> and just stayed silent instead of declining (a decent response to
> some of the questions, not I thought to others), and a deluge of
> questions and follow-ups all on top of each other which confused the
> participants as they're new to this.  It was very hard making sure
> everyone had a decent say, but at the same time that everyone who
> wanted had a go.  Sorry if anyone felt shut out, it wasn't
> intentional.  I also spilt crisps all over the floor.

fair point, but at most points i had between 8 and 12 questions queued
for paul to try and organise. we did desperatly want to give more people
time, but then we also wanted very much for everyone to ask a question
if they wanted. we largely managed to make sure that nearly everyone got
to as ktheir question, we had no luck though of guaranteeing that they
would be answered.

> > If we want any decent answers, i just don't think IRC is the way we're
> > going to get them. one simple reason is that it would simply take too
> > long to type.

another fair point, but to assist you all in some way i've also put a
version of the log on the web. the version i've done is marked up, it
shows in bold all questions, answers and relevant text. meaning that you
can get the gems of information without having to read all the dross
(which there was a lot of).
i know it wasn't the worlds best chat, but reading through the log there
are answers to a lot of things we did want them to answer. they said
tigermilk will be re-released, told us about a tour, and let us know how
they write songs.

so the question is, not what they put into it (although it could be
asked of stuart david), but what the hell did you expect to get out of
it?

perception is very much the key to viewing the log, not all of it was
written in disposable trashy language, some is very much highly quotable
and in context.

if you want to view the marked-up version of the log then the page is on
my site (link below) or you can go direct to:
http://www.totalweb.co.uk/bluesoda/log120398.htm

thanks

david kitchen

sarah did also say that she couldn't turn the chat into an interview,
this could be true, but i think that the several paid writers and
reviewers on this list would agree that it could very easily be turned
into a critical and informative article of an IRC chat, with the bonus
of having all the content belle and sebastian orientated. too hard? or
would you just like to pretend they did an interview anyway and do as
you said and put the words you wanted to hear into their mouths? - feel
free to reply directly to me.
--
                 Belle and Sebastian Fan Club
     merchandise, mail-outs, chat, lyrics, poetry, fiction
               mailto:bluesoda at totalweb.co.uk