Sinister: A long and silly post from the new girl

Courtney Knopf vegasbaby at xxx.com
Sat Mar 14 21:33:51 GMT 1998

Hello to all of you. I just joined the list and figured I'd get the
obligatory "Hello my name is.." first post out of the way. But guess
what? I'm not going to ask for Tigermilk because I was smart and read
the FAQ.

My name is Courtney and I go to USC film school in Los Angeles, but I am
originally from Portland, Oregon (the land of Elliot Smith, you know).

I first heard of Belle and Sebastian on the Ben Folds Five mailing list.
Apparently Ben is a big fan and has covered Fox in the Snow and Stars of
Track and Field in concert. Someone made me a mix tape with some stuff
from IYFS and I was hooked.

Actually Ben Folds Five were in town a couple weeks back to do the talk
show circuit (and play the beautiful yet sadly overplayed Brick for the
billionth time) and a friend and I went to see them at the Keenen Ivory
Wayans show and she brought Ben Lazy Line Painter Jane. He was SO
excited. It was cute.

Other than B&S and BFF, I like Squirrel Nut Zippers, Radiohead, Cake,
Weezer, Morphine, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Elvis
Costello, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Royal Crown Revue and a whole mess of
other stuff. I am big into swing and big band too and have a radio show
here at the campus station. I mostly play swing and stuff, but when you
have 4 hours to fill late at night you start to get nutty. Last week I
played the whole second half of IYFS.

But now I have started to ramble. And if you've read this far, well
thanks. I'm sure you'll be hearing more out of me in the months to come.

~Courtney
The Sultraness of Swing
"Help! I'm in a nut shell!"