Sinister: slooooow country

Yummycats Yummycats at xxx.com
Mon Mar 16 05:22:57 GMT 1998

(I would have emailed this privately, but i've lost the letter)

To the person who was looking for some slow country music:

Terri Binion is an option, and she's playing at the Bottom Line in NYC.  I've
attached a show preview below,  from an article by a friend of mine for the
upcoming issue of 'Time Out NY.'

You might also want to try Tarnation for something a little bit less mature
and more Kitty Wells.

Incidentally, The Nashville independent record store owned by the wife of the
guy from Lambchop just went out of business last month.  It also doubled as a
club.
She never carried any Belle and Sebastian, so it's just as well.  <g>  Rumor
had it that she wasn't much into music anyway!
-----------------
"Terri Binion/Bottom Line;
Thursday, March 26
According to recent trend articles, hipsters can now guiltlessly enjoy
Americana/roots music through its resurgence as Alterna-Country and other such
nouveau genres that repackage the same sounds in snarling lyrics. It’s hard to
say whether Florida-based Terri Binion would be enraged or amused by this
information. Nearing 40, Binion has been kicking up her beautiful dust bowl
dramas live for 20 years. Think of the feathery and unabashedly pretty vocals
of Alison Krauss joined with the winking road-weary charm of Nanci Griffith.
Binion’s recent 9-song debut CD Leavin’ This Town (Daemon) is more country-
flavored than folky, but the songwriter’s thoughtful tales of wee-hour wheel
clutching and pickup truck Romeos will likely entice fans of both. Filled with
a pervading melancholy, the release was produced by drummer Liberty DeVitto of
Billy Joel band notoriety. Binion’s quaint acoustics are lightly accented by
accordion, pedal steel, and mandolin, leaving chuckle-worthy musings such as,
"I did a little rain dance in the hopes of true romance," on the pure country
of "Abilene" to work their simple elegance unencumbered. If you are
predisposed toward this type of stuff Binion will turn you into a silly mess;
if you aren’t, it may remedy your obstinacy. Since Binion’s power is in her
drawling, honest prose, Bottom Line should provide the perfect acoustic
backdrop for her CD’s unadorned tales—that is unless that small-but-ubiquitous
beer crowd arrives to swill in its usual blaring manner.—Karen Iris Tucker