Sinister: The 'swe at r

Rod Begbie rod at xxx.com
Tue Mar 17 12:59:37 GMT 1998

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Alan Prior wrote:

> I feel I must get something off my chest, so to speak. Something I've only
> ever told one person before.
> Yes, 'tis true; I own the complete Menswear back-catalogue. Aaaaaargh! The
> shame! But, phew, I've finally admitted it and now my soul can finally rest
> in peace...

I thought Menswe at r were dead good.  I managed to get a copy of their debut
7" (sold out within 2 hours - Aye, my arse.  I bought it in Stirling on
the Wednesday afternoon), and was thrilled to see on the Chart Show that
weekend that it was worth "as much as £50".  Wonder what it's worth
now...?

Ah, the heady BritPop summer of '95.  Happy days!

> NB: MSP write 'You Love Us' and receive mass adoration (and justly in my
> opinion);
>         Menswear write 'We Love You' and everyone hates them (because
> they're shite?- you tell me...)

I've got everything they've released except that single, which I thought
was cack.

I actually got to see them live in Glasgow for free, after winning a
competition on their website (it's still there!
http://www.rise.co.uk/menswear/ "New Single 'We Love You' out 28th
August", apparently) and I won a free signed CD of their album, which I
promptly gave to a girl I fancied, and got a snog in return.  Pretty good
deal, if you ask me.

FWIW, they have apparently recorded a new album, but London Records have
dropped them, so they're shopping around for a new label.

Rod.

                                    Rod Begbie @ http://www.begbie.com |