Sinister: two pieces of velvet

Hugh Tuffen tuffen at xxx.fr
Tue Mar 17 15:06:23 GMT 1998

dear all,

my tape of john peel's fairly festive 31 (the end-of-year listener's
favourite songs for those of you outside the great man's reach) starts at
number 24 and cuts the number two song in half.
within this colourful patchwork rug of music nestle two pieces of velvet, by
belle and sebastian.
the songs make me feel wistful and as though I were on stage in the play of
my life, in a claustrophobic box-life room, only for the scene to change and
I am transported into a green summer field.
nearby is the 'nick drake meadow' where ghosts of butterflies open their
wings to the sun.

what are numbers two and one in johnpeel's countdown?
what are belle and sebastian like live (the adjective 'amazing' which you
will probably use may show that they arouse strong feelings but is not very
descriptive)
i hope that they'll still be playing in small venues when i get back to the
uk in the autumn.

forgive my ignorance in all matters belle and sebastian

hugh

*********
Hugh Tuffen
Departement des Sciences de la Terre, Universite Blaise Pascal,
5 Rue Kessler, 63038 Clermont-Ferrand, France
*********

Home address: Chambre 311
              Residence d'Amboise
              11, Rue d'Amboise
              63000 Clermont-Ferrand
              France
telephone:    +33 473 437253 (ask for chambre 311)