Sinister: Meeja Hor

Rod Begbie rod at xxx.com
Wed Mar 18 12:57:07 GMT 1998

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Sarah wrote:

> POP GOB?!?!?!
> isn't that Begbies site?
> Its just been mentioned on RADIO ONE!!!!
> fame as a listee!!!

Crikey!  Wouldn't you just know that now, as I'm trying to check this out,
the BBC's webshite is pinging a 50% packet loss.  (For non-geeks, this
means my connection to it is shafted)

Doesn't Dave Green have something to do with the Digital Update?
Presumably he passed on my site after featuring it in the latest issue of
Need To Know (http://www.ntk.net -- if you're a geek, and British, this is
the e-zine for you!)

Mind you, that's not the first time I've been on Radio 1...

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, C Browning wrote:

> ahhhh - the mark radcliffe graveyard slot. i think if many fans of belle and
> sebastian out there were to say where they first heard of them mr radcliffe
> would get one of the majority mentions. he's better in the afternoon than he
> was in the morning

I was on the Busy Buzzy Bee game about a year ago.  It was the same day
that David Bowie was on -- http://www.maingate.demon.co.uk/sounds/rod.ram
for the trailer for that week.  I was quite chuffed!

> except for chris moyles who seems desperate to be fired
> and that kind of death wish makes for entertaining listening)

Mmm.  I only ever hear his show at the end of term (when I'm up to 5am
working on coursework, like I am at the moment), but he does tread the
thin line between being an irritating unfunny DJ like Steve Wright, and
completely anarchic comedy genius.

> anyway yeah sorry rambling. mark radcliffe's show introduced me to about 80%
> of my record collection. new stuff, obscure stuff, old stuff - i mean i hated
> a lot of the stuff he played and he hated a lot of teh stuff i played

To me, the old Graveyard Shift was a more accessible version of John Peel.
You got to *hear* the bands that the NME/Melody Maker were going on about,
usually before the papers had started going on about them!  But the
addition was the him'n'Lard were so laugh out loud funny, especially when
they were causing Mark Kermode to get completely exasperated.  The
"Competition Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime"
jingle was a classic of our time.

Their show didn't really work as well in the morning, though, cause they
didn't have someone to bounce off quite so often.

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, ex-Faker Todd wrote:

> Could someone define 'cack' for me please?

It means `jobby'.  Hope this helps.

(the new-improved reply-combining)
Rod.

                                    Rod Begbie @ http://www.begbie.com |