Sinister: Re: Are They Still Alive?

Jarrett Frankel jfrankel at xxx.net
Wed Mar 18 17:26:28 GMT 1998

>From: Pierre.Coat at xxx.com
>Subject: Sinister: Are they still alive?
>
>Does anybody know if The High, The La's, East River Pipe,
>Another Sunny Day or Brian still exist?

I can only speak for two of the aforementioned bands, Brian and East River
Pipe. East River Pipe are still going, as far as I know.  Their last album
was '96's mostly excellent "Mel", released in the US on the fine Merge
label. I haven't heard any news on a new album, though I can't imagine what
Mr. Cornog would do if he didn't make the beautiful music he makes.  Don't
expect a breakup, that'd be quite the feat considering ERP consists of FM
Cornog and FM Cornog alone. As long as he exists(a long time, hopefully, we
don't get songwriters like him everyday) East River Pipe will exist. And
anybody reading this who has never heard of ERP and feels adventurous
enough to want to take a chance on a record that could possibly change your
life, PLEASE go out and buy/steal/borrow for a really really long time the
"Shining Hours In A Can" compilation on Ajax Records. Guaranteed you'll
cherish it. If not, I'll say a prayer for your kids.

Brian, my sources tell me, has(have?) a new album coming out supposedly
this year on the Bar/None label here in the states. I believe the last
thing put out was the wonderful "Understand" EP.

related note: B&S would do fine covers of ERP's "Silhouette Town" and
"Times Square Go-Go Boy," dont'cha think?

rendered, rainforested & rolexed:
jarrett frankel
jfrankel at intr.net

albums of the week: 3/16/98