Sinister: no contiene nada de Belle y Sebastian, lo siento

Honey honey at xxx.net
Wed Mar 18 21:15:51 GMT 1998

Right, I'm going to take exception to that I think.  Having called the
set-up as "dysfunctional" and the transcript as "ludicrous", Essexdog goes
on to say:

> Re: The quoting of my posting about the "Is Stuart gay or not?" 'issue',
> specifically "It's a LARF, innit?" - That was intended to mean that ultimately
> the mystique element is very important

To who?  To you?  To Stuart?  To the "success" of the band?  To "pop"?

> and frankly one doesn't really want to
> chat to people in a prosaic setting where "oooh I've just spilt crisps on the
> floor" takes precedence as a posting over 'fan' questions.

It didn't.  This was five minutes before the chat started.  And I
*did* spill my crisps.  Sorry I didn't take it "more seriously" like
proper journalists do.  That's one slagging for the operators of the chat.

Who made the band "succumb" to the interview procedure again?  They chose
it.

> Unfortunately they chose the latter. Whatever.

That's a slagging for the band.

> As a journalist who happens to
> adore B&S, the music is the most important thing. I'd rather they wrote
> fiction or did something akin to the Melody Maker NYC diary than 'succumb' to
> the interview procedure. Do we actually CARE which is SM's favourite Felt
> song, or, indeed, what colour socks he wears?

And that's a slagging to the people who took part.

I don't much if I care about socks but the point is that this was a way
for the people who sodding well like their music to ask them what they
wanted.  It was a chaotic forum and it may have been crap to your
ears but some people half liked it - well lots told me so.  Someone might
care about socks and I personally don't like a journalists telling me what
proper questions are. Should we have asked them who their favourite Spice
Girl was maybe?  No sorry that was Kevin.

> They have to realise that if they're going to enter into media-esque
> shenanigans, however, that an attitude reminiscent of the '86 shambling era
> (or, at least, the way it was portrayed by the NME and suchlike at the time)
> comes across as less than charming in print/IRC transcript.

They don't have to "realise" anything.  Christ it annoys me when a
journalist tell bands what they have to do.  They're not out to charm you
I suspect.  Ask them.

Honey