Sinister: Tigermilk recommended for investors/Yeats

Martin Conneely Martin_Conneely at finance.irlgov.ie
Fri Mar 20 12:26:35 GMT 1998

1.  From today's Irish Times Business (!) Section, in an article about
collecting vinyl:

"Not many people have heard about a new Scottish band called Belle and
Sebastian who only formed two years ago and have never troubled the charts  or
_Top of the Pops_ but because they're deemed 'artistically significant' by
music journalists and the _cognoscenti_, Belle and Sebastian's debut album two
years ago, called _TIger Milk_, of which only 500 copies were pressed up, is
now passing hands for more than œ200.  From œ15 to œ200 in two years, you could
be naming your own price in 10 years time."

The Irish Times Entertainment section also gave IYFS a very good review when it
came out.

But I'm not forgetting that the Sports Section tipped Dun Belle recently (which
seemed to me to be a message to the _cognoscenti_), leading to a depletion of
my disposable income that week.

2. Runegg <Runegg at aol.com wrote

>Here's a short Yeats poem..  Poor Willie, spent his whole life
>trapped in unrequited love for Maud Gonne... I hope there were "others", as he
says,
>or else he doomed himself.

>A Deep-Sworn Vow

>Others because you did not keep
>That deep-sworn vow have been friends of mine;

Yes, there were quite a few "others".  The first seems to have been Olivia
Shakespear, when Yeats was 31.   According to Samuel Levenson's biography of
Maud Gonne, "Olivia was everything a man could want in a woman.  But Yeats's
nervous excitement was so great during her first two visits that he was
impotent".  He felt it was "best to sit over out tea and talk".  (Maybe he had
been indulging in that "temperance tea" that Mr Hopkins of this list found so
enervating).    Anyway, as Yeats put it, "My nervousness did not return again
and we had many happy days."

So that's alright then, although he did remain obsessed with Maud and I have a
hunch that it was not quite unrequited.

Martin C.