Sinister: Fox in the Spring

ELIZABETH DAPLYN EDAPLYNR3N00297 at xxx.uk
Fri Mar 20 14:57:54 GMT 1998

Speak gently, Spring, and make no sudden sound,
For in my windy valley yesterday I found
New born foxes squirming on the ground -
Speak gently.

Walk softly, March, forbear the bitter blow.
Her feet within a trap, but blood upon the snow,
The four little foxes saw their mother go -
Walk softly.

Go lightly, Spring, oh give them no alarm;
As I covered them with boughs to shelter them from harm,
The thin blue foxes suckled at my arm -
Go lightly.

Step softly, March, with your rampant hurricane;
Nuzzling one another and whimpering with pain,
The new little foxes are shivering in the rain -
Step softly.

				Lew Sarett