Sinister: B&S Tape Loop/Loop

plaird plaird at xxx.uk
Sat Mar 21 03:00:21 GMT 1998

Just had a relaxing few days on the Isle of Skye (my girlfriend
has some relatives up there) and have overdosed a bit on B&S
(haven't really been listening to them for a number of weeks).
Made up a tape of IYFS and my fave EP tracks plus the surviving
tracks from my stricken Tigermilk copy. This tape was rotated
with Aretha Franklin in the car over 600-odd miles.
Sheer bliss!!!

JOSEPH FOSTER asked:
>Could someone enlighten me as to a band whats called 'loop'? i bought a
>loop T-shirt once, not knowing about any band.

Loop were around at about the same time as Spacemen 3 (Jason from
Spiritualized's former band) - who they had a bit of a 'disagreement'
with (probably the result of some fiction in the NME). The Spacemen
claimed Loop ripped-off their sound. They had 4 LPs I'm aware of:
'The World in Your Eyes', 'Heaven's End', 'Fade Out' and 'A Gilded
Eternity'. They did a cover of Suicide's 'Rocket USA' which was their
only track I believe sounds anything like Spacemen 3 - 'though I'm
sure they shared a lot of fans with them. I did prefer the Spacies.
I've still got the first three Loop LPs. At first they were
Paisley-shirted long-haired psychedelic space/drone noiseniks and
quite popular with goths and indie-kids (this was the late '80s).
They mutated into leather wearing miserable noise rockers (who only
the hardline goths and rock monsters seemed to appreciate).
I once saw them at the venue in Edinburgh and it has to be the
loudest thing I've ever heard in my entire life (bar the time I had
to stand practically in the bass bins through an Inspiral Carpets gig
during the Madchester craze). Oooh my poor ears.

Gawd, I feel my age.

The Laird of East Fountainbridge.

"An Egg is good for you" - THE EGG Marketing Board