Sinister: Precedence: bulk

Mark Hester M.Hester at xxx.UK
Mon Mar 23 13:44:06 GMT 1998

DAVID (Ruth?)wrote
Good to see Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead cropping up on a reading list.

I'm afraid the only Fountainhead I know is the excellent Bluetones song of
that name, probably the best thing on Expecting to Fly. I haven't heard the
new album yet. Any thoughts anyone?

Yes, pity us poor Philistine science graduates! There seems to be a lot of
literature and poetry being cited on the list these days!

Perfume - Paris Angels

Wow! Yes the Paris Angels. 'Sundew' album is ace and 'Perfume' is the
best of all. I remember hearing it for the first time on a London pirate radio
station called Q (or possibly Cue) 102 in the summer of '90. The version
that turned up on the album was not quite so good as the original single
but it was still ace. They did a superb version of Lou Reed's 'What Goes
On' on the album as well. Shame the music press hated them. Q102 was
killed off when the radio franchises were awarded. The summers of '89
and '90 were so cool for pirate radio in London; there were tons of
highly amusing techno stations which were really amateur and the DJs
began every sentence with "big shout going out to...."

The piano part on 'Seeing Other people' is incredible and I certainly don't
know anything else that sounds quite like it. Maybe in the classical
repertoire....

There are Cockney introductions throughout the classical repertoire if Bill
Bailey is to be believed. Maybe I should get my revenge on these bookish
individuals by starting a discussion on comedy. Fridays just aren't the
same now the Friday Night Armistice isn't on. I loved all their stuff on the
mIllennium Dome.

Mark.

Mark Hester
Engineering & Technology