Sinister: Bluetones!

Jonathan Wren jwg.wren at xxx.com
Mon Mar 23 15:30:28 GMT 1998

Mark Hester wrote:

> DAVID (Ruth?)wrote
> Good to see Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead cropping up on a reading list.
>
> I'm afraid the only Fountainhead I know is the excellent Bluetones song of
> that name, probably the best thing on Expecting to Fly. I haven't heard the
> new album yet. Any thoughts anyone?

Buy it! Return To The Last Chance Saloon is perhaps a bit less coherent than
Expecting to Fly but it packed full of great songs: Tone Blooze and Unpainted
Arizona would be a great start to any album, and The Jub-Jub Bird, Broken Starr,
If... and Sleazy Bed Track are superb guitar led pop songs. The album is much less
jangly and quite a bit more rocking. My biggest criticism is that, for the most
part, the lyrics are not great (From Sky Will Fall, which sounds very early 80's,
vaguely Romo pop: `Maybe the sky will fall/And maybe kill us all/Or just the very
tall') Not exactly Bluetonic or Are You Blue Or Are You Blind (which has the
gorgeous lines `Down the evening rain falls, walzing round my feet/Paints
reflections of the houses on my street) <sigh>

A mate saw them live last week and said it was the best gig he'd ever been too.
Incidentally, anyone heard a band called Mover who supported The Bluetones?; the
same mate said they were brilliant, too.

Apologies to Keith et al who I was on the chat with after 9.30 last night; I got
cut off and couldn't get back on until 11.30!

All the best,

Jon