Sinister: The Boat Race

Hugh Mungus Tuffen tuffen at xxx.fr
Mon Mar 23 17:03:22 GMT 1998

>Does anybody know of a club in Cambridge called The Boutraiser or
>something or other,, my friends are trying to get a 'gig' there and
>they were told that it was a very 'hot' club, and one of the best(est)
>small venues or something..

Tbe Boat Race is (or rather, was..) ace.  I worked there for a couple of
years, it was so friendly, so many good and obscure bands, such a nice
atmosphere, so nice and small and cosy....I used to cook sometimes, once i
made lentil soup cos the band was orphic soop supporting the nylon bombers.
but orphic soop ran off to kenfucky died chicken going 'uh, yuk, veggie
crap!' and the nylon bombers came back for seconds and played really well,
orphic soop were rubbish!
there was a 'jamming session ' every sunday, local bands on monday, hardcore
on wednesday, famouser people at the weekends like beth orton and gallon drunk..
anyway, it was run by this group of stars 'Shebeen Arts and Music' who were
a sort of voluntary collective, loved their music, put everything they
earned back into the venue. The are the epitome of DIY culture and should
have been treasured.
They were on the verge of getting an extension with a café and stuff when
about 6 months ago the pub owner decided that he wanted to try promoting
gigs by himself (might make lots of money!) the Shebeen crew were booted out
and most of their loyal supporters now boycott the 'boat race' where gigs
still take place (but not as good ones!)  Shebeen now have a tiny desultory
back room in the Portland Arms in Cambridge, but it's nothing like the same.
The Boat Race singlehandedly kept me (fairly) sane during my time at uni,
and I fear it's lost.
Still, Olla, your friends might like it! After a really good gig you can see
new stains on the ceiling. I like that.

Hugh