Sinister: Stars of Track and Field

Mark Hester M.Hester at xxx.UK
Mon Mar 23 16:37:43 GMT 1998

I really dig the song "The Stars of Track and Field", but I don't think I'm
understanding much of the lyrics... I was wondering if someone could
help
me out with some of it:

- is the "you" in the song a boy or a girl? Who is the "She"? and the "I"?
I think this is deliberately ambiguous. But remember that it is 'Stars' plural,
so different parts of the song may refer to different people. It is a sign of
a good songwriter to be able to write in the first person but not actually
refer to one's own experiences.

- what is "terry underwear"?
Terry is short for Terry towelling i.e. the material that 'real' ,as opposed to
disposable, babies' nappies (diapers) are made of.

- does "throwing discuss" and "track and field" actually refer to
athletics?
It would appear so.

The song sounds intentionally ambiguous to me, so perhaps there is no
clear explanation of it... that's fine with me, I just want to make sure I'm
not missing anything because of English not being my native language...

I think that's true of most of B&S's songs. E.g. the 'fox' in the snow
feminine or vulpine???!

Mark Hester
Engineering & Technology
Elsevier Science Ltd