Sinister: Tigermilk price

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Mon Mar 23 18:48:45 GMT 1998

> You can't blame a record dealer for accepting their money, the record
> is only
> worth that because it's a damn fine record, and it's very hard to come
> by.

no, it's 'worth' that much because it is rare and a lot of people are
currently belle & sebastian fans, and it has absolutely nothing to do
with the quality of the work.  it could be a heap of shite and fans
would still be prepared to pay a lot of money for it, for the rarity
value, for the snob value if you will...  i know of many records that
are equally good, equally rare and yet 'worth' no-where near as much in
monetary terms.

> That doesn't make them wankers.

possibly not, but i'm not convinced i'd be respectful of someone who
spent that much on a Pop record...  I don't own an original of TM by the
way, but i am happy with my tape and mini-disc copies.  I might pay
around £20 for a copy, for a copy of any record i really loved, but no
more.  It's just not 'worth' it over that price in my opinion...
arbitrary i know, but hey...

> If the band had actually got their act together and put out a reissue,
> even a
> CD only release so the LP's are still special or whatever, then the
> original
> would still be collectable, but not fetching the ridiculous prices it
> is.

but it would, because you never deny the collectability of the original.
there will only ever be 1000, and as long as the band are popular and
collectable there will be some prepared to pay that sum.  It's got
nothing to do with wanting the music or the songs, it's about wanting
product, artefact...

>  it's bound to be pirated/bootlegged soon, if indeed it hasn't been
> already.
> So either way we'll all soon be able to get hold of it!

would you rather: a) get a fairly decent copy dubbed by someone cool
like Andy Dean or Pam Berry for the price of a tape and postage or b)
pay some dubious fucker a tenner for a dodgy CD bootleg copy down some
market?

anyone who answers b) can fuck right off now.

keeping the faith, even though it hurts sometimes,
the duke

--
Tangents On-Line http://www.virtual-pc.com/tangent/
PO Box 102, Exeter, EX2 4YL, UK