Sinister: Stars of Track and Field

Schaffenberger kschaffe at xxx.edu
Mon Mar 23 22:07:42 GMT 1998

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Mark Hester wrote:

> I really dig the song "The Stars of Track and Field", but I don't think I'm
> understanding much of the lyrics... I was wondering if someone could
> help
> me out with some of it:
>
> - is the "you" in the song a boy or a girl? Who is the "She"? and the "I"?
> I think this is deliberately ambiguous. But remember that it is 'Stars' plural,
> so different parts of the song may refer to different people. It is a sign of
> a good songwriter to be able to write in the first person but not actually
> refer to one's own experiences.

Personally, I think he's speaking to a female subject. "could I write a
requiem for you when you're dead?", for example, agrees with the actual
requiem, "She had the moves, etc. It went to her head" and then, later,
"She had the knowledge to get her into college."  I think it's a song
directed towards one particular star of track and field, a female, who
personifies an entire genre of athletes, the stars of track and field.

I'll defend my position to the death.  So there.  (Actually, I'm just
being melodramatic.  All these mentions of Leonardo Decrapio are bringing
to mind the previews of his swashbuckling new film, The Man in the Iron
Mask.  DeCreepio's long red hair plagues my commercial breaks between
important programs, such as Dawson's Creek.)

-Kristen