Sinister: obsessiveness: geeky or cool?

Aadaminational Jacobsination aadam at xxx.com
Tue Mar 24 14:56:03 GMT 1998

The Spod wrote:
>  it was mentioned that perhaps people (such as
> those on this list) who are really into music have no life. Is this
> true?
If music is your way of life, then that's your life. If someone who
doesn't like music (yes they exist) thinks you have no life, then that's
their problem, not yours.

> Do "normal" people see such activities as being obsessive about a
> particular band or genre as sad?
Define normal.

> Or does the obsession hold a mystique
> that makes these people seem more interesting than they really are?
I think that can only be answered on a case by case basis.

>(Are
> people into to music simply for this very reason?)
That would be lame. You don't wanna know anyone who likes a band just to
be cool. There aren't any here. Maybe on the Spice Girls list :P

>     From my own personal experience it feels that being really into
> music (none of my friends are) is not really seen as geeky or cool but
> just unusual
Simply true only because your friends are not into music. If you were in
a community that hosted many music lovers, then it would be quite a
different story.

>      It's like paying £££'s for TM when it isn't really worth that much
> (certainly not to me anyway). Is the price so high because of the
> coolness factor that is associated with the records rather than the
> songs themselves?
Niether! The price is so high because of the simple law of supply and
demand. There are thousands of people who want something that is just
not avalible, so it becomes ultra-expensive. That's why apartments
downtown are more expensive than apartments in nowheresville, and that's
why Tigermilk is more expensive than John Denver's greatest hits.

I have records that were made in editions of hundreds, but because
nobody cares about the music, they're not worth more than their personal
value to me. Once upon a time someone was thinking,"How're we gonna get
rid of all these Tigermilk albums?" I'd bet they'd've doubled the press
run had they known.
On the other hand, had I know I was only gonna sell 200 copies of my
friend 7", I wouldn't've made 1000. You just never know. If you did,
then you'd be rich. That's why psychics aren't real.

Happy Tuesday
Aadam