Sinister: once in a lifetime..

Johnston, John CT John.Johnston at xxx.uk
Wed Mar 25 10:13:28 GMT 1998

That's a subject sure to get you Runrig fans perking up...sorry, false
alarm

David Leloup wrote about the Fox in the Snow
>it only happens once a year
>it only happens once a lifetime
>making most of it

To me this has always made me think of winters in Oxford when I was a
kid where there was only ever one snowy day a year. I was 8 when we
moved there having been living in Ottawa, Canada for the last four years
where frankly shortage of snow was never a problem. I found that I
really missed the snow in winter and when that one snow day came it
would be magical. I would tear around the house shouting "it's snowing"
"it's snowing" and then put on my coat to rush outside and make the most
of it. I can still remember the horror of being in the dentist's waiting
room and seeing the first big flakes of snow fall and thinking "I'm
going to miss the snow because of the dentist!!!"

Of course winter in Glasgow is quite a different kettle of ballgames but
that's what those lines have always meant to me.

John