Sinister: Ramble with 22 percent B and S content

Alan Prior AlanPrior at xxx.com
Wed Mar 25 18:59:19 GMT 1998

Message text written by David/Ruth McCurrypersonthingy
>Everyone I knew at university (in
Newcastle) had no real desire to study - we were just wasting precious
time. Fun, yeah, but a waste of time. Towards the end, I taught groups of
first-year students English Lit, and none of them gave a monkey's about
reading the books or thinking. <

    Thing is, the reason I did take Eng. Lit. was because I always loved
the idea of taking a subject that involved reading and thinking about books
for 3 or 4 years...maybe I'm just sad, but that kinda thing has always
appealed to me- that's why I'm not taking art, cause I don't think i'd
learn all that much except how to paint better/differently. Of course, I've
always preferred reading the books to actually writing about them, but
that's not really the point, is it?

    Anyway, favourite gigs...um, B&S are/were one of my faves, I'm sure
(oh, it seems like so long ago now). Music seems to be the only thing that
really makes me happy just now, there's a certain uplifting quality in
melancholy that gets me every time. I dunno, for every good point at a gig
there usually seems to be a bad one that brings it down (like idiot
crowdsurfers landing on my head & nearly breaking my neck. Not fun.)
    So, yeah, Belle and Sebastian. Because it was so beautiful, and I fell
in love with them all over again- just as I did when I received a copy of
Tigermilk in the post from the lovely david on Friday...mmm, bliss.
Todays favourite B&S songs;
'She's Losing It', and 'I Don't Love Anyone'. Yum.

    Oh, and would someone be able to tell me the set list from the Embra
show last year? Would be ever so grateful. Cheers.

luv always,
Debbie xxx.

PS; here's a wee (ha!) extra bit I just received, recent (and, as far as I
can make out, genuine) headlines from U.S. newspapers.

This was forwarded to me by a dark figure from my past, but it's still
piss-self funny.  To be read out loud, slowly and with much gravitas.....

1.  Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert Says
2.  Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers
3.  Safety Experts Say School Bus Passengers Should Be Belted
4.  Drunk Gets Nine Months in Violin Case
5.  Survivor of Siamese Twins Joins Parents
6.  Farmer Bill Dies in House
7.  Iraqi Head Seeks Arms
8.  Is There a Ring of Debris around Uranus?
9.  Stud Tires Out
10. Prostitutes Appeal to Pope
11. Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
12. British Left Waffles on Falkland Islands
13. Lung Cancer in Women Mushrooms
14. Eye Drops off Shelf
15. Teacher Strikes Idle Kids
16. Reagan Wins on Budget, But More Lies Ahead
17. Squad Helps Dog Bite Victim
18. Shot Off Woman's Leg Helps Nicklaus to 66
19. Enraged Cow Injures Farmer with Axe
20. Plane Too Close to Ground, Crash Probe Told
21. Miners Refuse to Work after Death
22. Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
23. Stolen Painting Found by Tree
24. Two Soviet Ships Collide, One Dies
25. Two Sisters Reunited after 18 years in Checkout Counter
26. Killer Sentenced to Die for Second Time in 10 Years
27. Drunken Drivers Paid $1000 in '84
28. War Dims Hope for Peace
29. If Strike isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last A While
30. Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
31. Enfields Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide
32. Include your Children when Baking Cookies
33. Red Tape Holds Up New Bridge
34. Deer Kill 17,000
35. Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead
36. Man Struck by Lightning Faces Battery Charge
37. New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group
38. Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft
39. Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
40. Chef Throws His Heart into Helping Feed Needy
41. Arson Suspect is Held in Massachusetts Fire
42. British Union Finds Dwarfs in Short Supply
43. Ban On Soliciting Dead in Trotwood
44. Lansing Residents Can Drop Off Trees
45. Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half
46. New Vaccine May Contain Rabies
47. Man Minus Ear Waives Hearing
48. Deaf College Opens Doors to Hearing
49. Air Head Fired
50. Steals Clock, Faces Time
51. Prosecutor Releases Probe into Undersheriff
52. Old School Pillars are Replaced by Alumni
53. Bank Drive-in Window Blocked by Board
54. Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors
55. Some Pieces of Rock Hudson Sold at Auction
56. Sex Education Delayed, Teachers Request Training
57. Porno videos, Home Secretary to act.

Just thought you should know...