Sinister: No B&S, Are You Scared to Be Happy in Anorak City

Richard Lander rclander at xxx.net
Thu Mar 26 05:36:58 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Essexdog5 <Essexdog5 at xxx.com>
To: sinister at majordomo.net <sinister at majordomo.net>
Date: 26 March, 1998 8:41
Subject: Re: Sinister: the 'duke' speaks

>In a message dated 3/25/98  10:24:56PM, you write:
>
><< You've still got your copies of Are You Scared To Get Happy haven't
> you..
>  >>

>Is this a rhetorical question? AYSTGH, along with Troutfishing In
Leytonstone
>(on a lesser scale) used to make me leap about the room when I was about
17.
>And the Anorak City flexi that came with the BESTest issue of that finest
of
>fanzines still runs through my mind on a regular basis. This was a fanzine
>that said (excuse the paraphrasing, but it's from a rather addled memory)
"We
>were on a bus a few weeks ago and we saw a Hurrah! poster. Both Clare and I
>agreed that they'd used the WRONG shade of blue..." - and it smelt so good
as
>well.
>
>I agree totally with the ideals of passion, idealism, SCREAMing, love/hate,
>etc that the venerable Duke espouses.... are all the young soul rebels are
>tucked up in their beds? (my own passion died circa summer '95, since you
>asked, or not, as the case may be). Hey, maybe that's why I'm a
journalisty!
>Whatever.

Spook!  Somewhere in my parents house in the UK is a stack of fanzines
which, when I left the UK I couldn't bring myself to throw away. Yes I still
have the Anorak City flexi given away free with the first Sarah Records
fanzine (Sarah 3 and 4). I can even remember where I bought it. At the
Boardwalk Club in Manchester when we had gone to see The Groove Farm in
early 1988.