Sinister: Live shows

Mark Hester M.Hester at xxx.UK
Thu Mar 26 16:09:19 GMT 1998

Jon G., there is absolutely nothing wrong with gaps between songs in
live shows. Far better than the alternative, anyway. Everything merging
seamlessly into one in a shambolic fashion, confusing the uninitiated and
denying an appreciative audience the opportunity to punctuate the set
with rounds of applause, loud whoops etc.

I have read reviews describing gigs where the singer tells long stories
between songs and they are usually derogative about that. I think I'd be
pretty miffed by this - unless they were incredibly witty of course.

Sorry, did I miss something? There was a power cut here, the room was
plunged into darkness and the computers fell silent (I work in a big open
plan offic). Everyone was commenting about how quiet it was. But
maybe we need the constant hum of IT equipment to keep us all awake.

Chris Leonard, I love your play! Wish I had an imagination like that. Wow!

I have no idea how many copies IYFS has sold but HMV in Oxford had
marked it under BEST SELLERS.

Does anyone know how it is decided which new releases are displayed
in the windows of record stores? Is it done at a branch or national level
in the case of the larger chain stores? After all, there must be hundreds
of new releases each week and is it purely a matter of corporate clout?
you may say 'it's not important' but I would beg to differ- whether or not a
new band gets its single/album in the window of a high street store must
make a substantial differnce to how well their work sells.

and

why do lyrics of songs on albums differ so much from those in the
sleevenotes/inlay card/ um, er bookletnotes (?) . I daresay this has got
something to do with issues of copyright etc that I don't pretend to
understand (re Radiohead's 'lyrics by permission even though we wrote
them' on 'OK Computer') . IYFS has examples of this e.g. in Get Me Away
from Here I'm Dying

'washing against the lonely tenement' is printed 'falling' is sung.

I do appreciate that it can be the band being deliberately perverse in
some cases eg 'Baby I am no futurist etc' for Pavement's 'Type Slowly'
on Brighten the Corners. And I'm sure we can all think of examples of
fragments of lyrics appearing rather than the whole song (eg every song
on Belly's 'Star' album).

Mark
(who has no desire to flame anyone and presumably is consigned to
walk the streets eternally with 'boring' tatooed on his forehead  as a
result!).

Mark Hester
Engineering & Technology
Elsevier Science Ltd