Sinister: duke has this effect on me....

Sarah sarah at xxx.uk
Fri Mar 27 20:17:07 GMT 1998

hey hey, me again!

ok so my last 2 posts showed up on the digest in the wrong order...i
hate email stuff...grr...

da dooke wrote...

<<Confront yourself, more than anything, and
that's what Pop should do.  That's what art does... remember, the art,
be it a painting, a song, a pome, whatever, will say more about yourself
than anything else.>>

making this relevant to belle and sebastian, i've got to say something
here. i perhaps pull myself apart, confront and pick at myself as much
as i can. and may i tell you lot that its bloody tiring. maybe not when
you have a good job, qualifications and relationships, but when you
aint, conforntation takes over you life, and SO EAsILY turns into self-
hate/self obsession.

Belle and Sebastian make me feel better about myself. It seems to me
that their role is NOT to confront. They make "gentle pop songs" direct
quote from SD there. they fill me with joy, and magic, and love and make
me want to hop about the room, and SMILE and fucking FORGET the
confrontational hate of the rest of the day. POP.

POP can also confront. POP comes in many different ideals if we want to
put it that way. Likesay, the manics, B&S, Dexys, Aqua, Wu-effing0Tang,
are all POP in whichever way you want to take them, its a personal
thing. POP is the most personal thing a person (ok, me) has, and THAT is
why it means so much to me. i know, i am a sad bastard.

<<Maybe this is truly the problem here; that generations younger
than mine are interested not in pulling away the layers and making
judgement themselves, but are intent only on the surface, the
appearance.>>

listen. ok, you are generalising, and there are a lot of twats exactly
like that. but not all. trying to make this relevant to B&S again, what
layers are there to peel away about B&S, apart from the mulitiple layers
of intrigue??? watcha see is watcha get really with them as a BAND, as
product and us as consumers. the PROCESS da dook seems to go on about,
will be found out about ONLY IF THE PEOPLE LIKE THE BAND finding out
about PROCESS follows PRODUCT. that is personally why *i* believeimage
is important. B&S's non-image....i like.....but i do not see them being
held up to millions. and i don't want them to. so sue me, i am writing
myself into a corner.

<<The NME act all indignant one week, and the next, it's
back to free posters of Popstars and playing the newlabour game of
threat free media.  It's laughable, but it's painful...>>

Yes, wasn't the poster of the Manics nice? I liked that one. I bought
the NME for it. The NME is a BUSINESS. It is after making MONEY. Those
prints gaurenteed most Manics fans would buy it. the duke seems to imply
the papers are SCUm, like all meeja of course, but the new labour
article WAS there, there was a full letters page devoted to it in the
next issue, people HAVE paid attention. and the NME seems to survive.
has it occured to you that the posters were a SELLING POINT? the paper
hsa just put its priceup, and needs extra incentive for purchasing,
hence free CD and prints. PROMOTIONS. flip, business studies classes are
all floooowing back to me.....

god, i bet i'll look back on this and wince when i'm in an office...with
a suit ...and tie....milking da system.....

i'd rather puke. trust me kids, its fun *thumbs up*
I'M GOING NOW BYE!!!!!!
Sarah

"I try to make everyones day a little more surreal"
                ***Calvin!****

                         http://www.elsato97.demon.co.uk

                        *    FEATHER BOAS & NAPALM ZINE *
                        *       C'MON! PUNCH THE AIR!   *