Sinister: an ink polaroid...from Canada

minigo twinkle at xxx.net
Sat Mar 28 21:13:49 GMT 1998

        I keep this one in my top drawer, beneath my sweaters with the
antique string of pearls my mum gave me. It makes me a bit sad to look at
it, which is why it's tucked away, but I like to take it out on days when
I'm doing a lot of thinking.

        It really should have been done in black and white, since it's
raining really hard and the clouds are all sorts of hues of grey. (NB:
there's a marketing idea for anyone on the prowl-- B&W polaroid film!)
There's my sister and me, sitting on our porch in wicker chairs, watching
the first spring storm of the year. I thought it would be nice to leave the
door open to let the warm wind gust through the house, but the cats would
have got out. A compromise: I left the screen open, so I could hear my
Trembling Blue Stars cd in the background. Music and rain go hand in hand.

(*the kettle's whistling, would you mind getting that?*)

        I think we look a bit impish, with our legs hugged to our chests.
See those content smiles we're sporting? Yeah, the kind you got when you
were little and you were tucked into bed after a long day at the amusement
park, tummy full of cotton candy. Rebecca wanted us to run out and splash in
the puddles, but I was a stick in the mud and refused.

        A few people passed us as we sat, soaking wet regardless of whether
they had a brolly or not.  But since it was the first glorious break from
winter, no one seemed to mind. They ran by, laughing instead. One girl even
told us she was having a marvellous time, which was a rarity in a city where
strangers rarely speak to one another.  I remember that cheered me up to no
end, since this was the day after a split from a friend who was no longer
the friend she used to be. With this new glimmer of well, not faith in
humanity exactly, but something like that, I wondered if she might ring me
back after all so we could sort things out.

        After a while the rain quieted down a bit, so I went inside to cut
up the caramel fudge brownies I'd just made and make us some cappucinos with
my new machine.
The phone never rang, by the way.

elisa xx