Sinister: the saddest song

Schaffenberger kschaffe at xxx.edu
Mon Mar 30 18:36:05 BST 1998

AHALTER asks about sad songs we cannot bear to listen to:

The saddest thing that I can think of is the film PONETTE. I began crying
mid-way through the film, and was all but hyperventalating (SP?) by the
time it ended.  The friends I was with were embarassed by my pitiful
weeping.  I think I will rent the video someday when I am alone and
feeling quite pathetic.

Songs?  At the moment, all that come to mind are things like "Please,
Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want," the melodies of which draw forth
painful early high school memories, crushes on boys and the like...  I
know there are more, but I can't think of any.  It's unbearable to
remember being sad in high school, really.  I think I've effectively
blocked most of those years out.

-Kristen