Sinister: Don't talk to me about culture. I've *been* to Leeds!

Rod Begbie rod at xxx.com
Mon Mar 30 20:55:05 BST 1998

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, jon g. wrote:

> No - Katrina was really nice about it - she said I could keep the files
> there if I could guarantee that people could not download them, which I
> don't know how to do, I don't think.

Do you mean allow people to hear the files, but not allow them to download
them for home use?  (ie. they have to listen on-line)  If so, then I can
help.  E-mail me, and I'll explain a bit more.

> Also, with the BBC involved, it's too
> scary for little me.  I'm a good boy - I don't want any trouble.

I wouldn't worry *too* much about it.  Tim Stainthorpe's Mark+Lard page
has shedloads of BBC samples (including lots of Shirehorses stuff) and
hasn't had any problems, despite a commercial release of some of the
material.

The Teletubbies was the only time I've seen Auntie come down on people
(and with good reason if you saw what was being written).

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, John Jackson wrote:

> Rod's Popgob webpage thing was in the guardian this weekend
> as site of the day or something. The bloke who wrote about it
> seemed to think it was funny, has anyone had a look at it.
> There were some hilarious quotes from the site.

That's the ubiquitous Dave Green.  He's been responsible for about 50% of
my site's traffic, due to plugs in NTK, Radio1 and the Grauniad.  Very
friendly chap who gave me some fantastic advise when I e-mailed him last
autumn asking about how to become a computing journalist: "Don't."

Issue 2 of PopGob'll be online on Wednesday (hopefully).  Look forward to
Simon Groom's Grooming Tips (geddit?!?) and the fabulous "Spot The Ball"
contest.

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, John Jackson wrote:

> Yes, but what about it's appearance in Ferris Buellers Day Off, while
> in the art gallery Cameron is staring at a painting of a boy..

Ferris Bueller is one of my all-time-favourite-films-of-all-time.  John
Hughes was clearly at the top of his powers when he wrote that one.  Less
schmaltzy that The Breakfast Club, less shite than Home Alone.  The way he
managed to completely change direction about 5 or 6 times in quick
succession from comedy to drama and back again (eg. Cameron totalling the
Porsche immediately followed by Parker's run home) is just unprecedented.

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, John Jackson wrote:

> I saw something bloody funny today, I was waiting in Marylebone
> station in London for my train back to Buckinghamshire, and two
> Britrail/Railtrak/whatever officials were escorting this suited
> gent out of the station...

I was on a train on Saturday from Manchester to Leeds.  At Huddersfield,
four pissed-up Leeds fans got on, pretty much surrounding the table we
were sat at.  "What team to you support?" asks one.  "Hearts", I reply,
convinced that by stating a Scottish team, I can avoid any chance of an
argument.  "If you're Scottish, you should support fucking Rangers."
responds aforementions dickhead, before entering into a contest with his
chums of "Who can hit their head off the table the hardest?"

What three football teams have swearwords in their name?  Arsenal,
Scunthorpe and Fucking Man United.

Top bloke of the weekend award goes to the poor soul I saw moping around
the dancey dancefloor at Leeds' Town & Country Club dressed in full
redneck line-dancing gear.  I imagine the words "Country Club" confused
him somewhat.

5 days until the Spice Girls!

Rod.

                                    Rod Begbie @ http://www.begbie.com |