Sinister: the return of the Swan

Amanda Bergman a-bergman at xxx.edu
Mon Mar 30 20:19:05 BST 1998

my my my.

where to even begin? I returned yesterday from my spring break excursion to
the UK, and I was up at a hideously early hour due to jetlag, waxing
nostalgic.

(oh, before I forget, to everyone who asked me weeks ago for tapes of
sundry things, could you please email me back with TAPE in the subject line
reminding me of what I should be sending you? things were really hectic
before I left for my trip, and I want to get all the tape stuff sorted as
soon as possible)

so...here are some ink polaroids for those of you that might be interested:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
This one was taken on the train from Stirling to Edinburgh. It's of me and
Chris sitting next to each other, but Chris is looking straight ahead with
a look of intense concentration on his face, and I am looking at Chris, but
most of my face is hidden by a huge purple bubble-gum bubble. I am smiling
at Chris from behind my gum because I know why he's concentrating so hard,
why his brow is furrowed and his lips are pursed and why his left hand is a
bit raised, reaching up towards his mouth. If you look really closely, you
can see that he's managed to breathe a bit of air into a tiny purple
bubble. If this one had been taken a few seconds later, it would have shown
Chris gesturing proudly towards his feeble bubble-blowing attempt, and me
with a layer of gum all over my lips and chin from when my gargantuan
bubble popped and splattered onto my face.

Here's one of me and Susannah from Friday night, after the first list
meet-up. We are at a party but we don't really know anyone, and Sus and I
are sitting on this bed wrapping ourselves in blue feather boas. We are
smiling and laughing cause we look so silly and also because Keith is
dancing drunkenly in front of us.

This is another one from earlier that night, after me and Sus and Sus's
flatmate Emma have piled into a cab to go the party. Keith is standing
outside the car, poised to open the door and get inside, and in the picture
there is a look of horrified amusement on his face. This is because the cab
had started to pull away before he could open the door and get in, and in
the process the car had run over his bag, which contained, among other
things, his new Blaxploitation double CD set (which suffered a direct, but
not debilitating, hit by the car's tire).

This one is from Saturday night, from the birthday celebration at the
poetry cafe. It's of Tag and Sus wearing the funny little party hats I got
for them. Except they're not wearing them on their heads, as I would have
imagined. Instead they have them strapped on so that the hats are pointing
out from their faces like big beaks with tinsel at the end. The picture is
a bit shaky because I am laughing so hard as I take it.
-----------------

more to come later on. for now, I have to go and drop off the real film to
be developed!

and "wrong love" is such a beautiful song. I love Stevie's singing!

hoping I haven't bored everyone terribly,
the Swan

Amanda Bergman
Northwestern University
a-bergman at nwu.edu

"Don't say 'think.' It's against the law."

--_The Phantom Tollbooth_