Sinister: sad songs

Joss & Leagues jossleag at xxx.ie
Tue Mar 31 14:28:56 BST 1998

Yaz wrote:
But, song-wise, i can never, never, never listen to Black-Eyed Dog by Nick
Drake.  It just has to be the most horrific song ever written.  Does anyone
else (apart from me an' Steve Maconie) think so too?

That song is just sooo bleak. All of those last 4 are, but Black Eyed Dog
is just so hard to listen to.
Martha by Tom Waits never fails to upset me. About a year and a half ago,
I'd just broken up with my girlfriend and she was in the next room not
talking to me. I was sitting in the dark listening to Nick Drake's bryter
layter and pink moon and feeling sad. I put on closing time by Tom Waits
and when that song came on I was ordered to take that fucking record off.
Never been able to listen to it much since.
The only B&S song that makes me sad is Seeing Other People. I have to fast
forward past the session version. Another girl-related incident.
Or almost anything by Chet Baker.
This is starting to look like some sort of confessional, so I'd better stop.
Be sweet.
joss