Sinister: sad songs

Ian Turton buffalo at xxx.uk
Tue Mar 31 15:19:26 BST 1998

Joss & Leagues wrote:

> Martha by Tom Waits never fails to upset me. About a year and a half
> ago,
> I'd just broken up with my girlfriend and she was in the next room not
>
> talking to me. I was sitting in the dark listening to Nick Drake's
> bryter
> layter and pink moon and feeling sad. I put on closing time by Tom
> Waits
> and when that song came on I was ordered to take that fucking record
> off.
> Never been able to listen to it much since.

Tom Waits' 'Ruby's Arms' is the one song that always starts me off. For
those of you who never heard it, it's about a guy silently leaving his
girl early in the morning, never to see her again. You don't find out
the true nature of his relationship with her (long time girlfriend ?
short term fling ? prostitute ?) or why he has to leave her, but the guy
is obviously distraught at the prospect. Silly, sentimental f*ck that I
am, I see him as simply going because he knows he'll hurt her at some
point in the future. The idea of leaving someone because you know it's
for the best for them in the long term, however devastating for you, is
one I always find utterly compelling. Could I do it ? Ach, I can't type
anymore.

regards,

yergreetinuncleTurt