Sinister: Fun for the Family!

jon g. jon.g at xxx.com
Tue Mar 31 16:09:27 BST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Dastoor <nickdastoor at xxx.com>
To: sinister at majordomo.net <sinister at majordomo.net>
Date: 31 March 1998 09:55
Subject: RE: Sinister: Fun for the Family!

>I think I do remember two young whippersnappers cross-legged on the
>floor at the Sunday matinee.  Which is confusing me, because I can't
>dispel the nagging feeling that jon.g and bethey are too perfect to be
>real.  Have you looked at their descriptions of one another on their
>webpages?  If only I was that cool when I was 15.  If only I were that
>cool now.  Why am I so obsessed with youth?

We were in the corner on the left as you go in.
*jong blushes*
jong is actually real, and I think bethey is too.

>I have some questions I've decided to throw open to the floor.
>
>What is that song 'Arab Strap' that B&S did in Manchester? Is it a
>(d'oh) Arab Strap cover? Only it sounded nothing like them - there was
>proper singing and everything.

It is definitely not an Arab Strap song - apart from the fact that it
couldn't be arab strap, it's not in their discography (have you been to
www.chemikal.demon.co.uk?  It's quite good).  Maybe, just maybe, it's an old
b-side of someone's or something and arab strap named themselves after it
and b&s played it at manc.  but who knows.  All it says@ chemikal was that
Aidan of Arab Strap (or it might have been malcolm) was in a band called
arab
strap before he met malcolm/aidan, so that's not much help now, is it boys
and girls?

>Did the name Belle and Sebastian come before or after Isobel joined?

Isn't there that story that Stuart M wrote a story about Isobelle and
Sebastian and then named the band that, as well as the cartoon/film etc?

>Are Belle and Sebastian still not snogging?

We haven't heard anything since Tigermilk - we know that they were the
product of botched capitalism form IYFS, but nothing since (apart from the
song belle & sebastian, which doesn't help).  Maybe they're trying to keep
their relationship covered up.

From: Chris Leonard <cleonard at xxx.COM>
To: 'Sinister' <sinister at majordomo.net>
Date: 31 March 1998 10:38
Subject: RE: Sinister: i'll go and play with words and pictures...

>Pigeon
>Street had rather annoying electronic toms to represent the coo of a
>pigeon, if I recall.

YES! it did - that's how I remembered about it, because me and bethey went
to the theatre with her parents at new year-ish and at the climax of the
emotional spectacle, they had all those pigeon street noises.  I was torn
between smiling at pigeon street or crying at the unfolding drama, but
neither bethey nor her parents could remember pigeon street.

You can still find them on most 80s Casio Keyboards - if you see one in a
car boot sale or down the market, remember that if it hasn't got pigeon
street sounds on it, then don't buy it.

Pigeon Street will probably not be understood by:
1 - those over 20
2 - those who don't live in the uk
3 - those who have better things to think about.
So, it's rather irrelevant to them, but fab to those who can remember.

-----
From: Adrian Evans <aevans at xxx.uk>
To: 'Sinister' <sinister-digest at majordomo.net>
Date: 31 March 1998 12:41
Subject: Sinister: Alphabet

>Y is for youngsters like Jon and Bethey

Wow - we're turning up everywhere.  I feel famous.  I'm just going to point
out again that my friend Katie, who sits next to me in school assembly is
also on the list and is younger than me, but older than bethey (ie 15).
Just so she doesn't feel left out.  But I don't now how Katie could have
been fitted in the rhyme.

Subject: Black-eyed Dog by Nick Drake

He had to do it again and again when he was recording it, didn't he - he got
so upset he couldn't sing.  You can definitely hear it in his voice.    It
says that in the cover of 'Way To Blue' - his greatest hits album, except he
didn't have any hits, so it's called 'An Introduction To Nick Drake'.  It's
good, by the way, if any of you without him are thinking of buying anything.
Sixteen of his best tracks for £9 - a super deal.

Right, well that's that lot replied to.

Now - would Cliff let me send it or not?  I'm not sure.  He seems like quite
a nice man, so I'll say yes, even though most of it is irrelevant.

bethey know loads about cliff, I think, or it could be my imagination.

jon g.
jon.g at btinternet.com - http://www.btinternet.com/~jon.g/