Sinister: the saddest story ever told

Mike Appelstein ciflux at xxx.com
Tue Mar 31 23:20:21 BST 1998

The Chills are always good for inducing a tear or two, especially the
_Submarine Bells_ album (one of the best of the '90s if you ask me) and
the single "The Great Escape."  There's an absolutely stunning moment in
it: Martin Phillipps has just finished singing about committing suicide,
or moving, or in any event leaving a bad situation.  He ends up singing
"No one can hear me...No one can hear me...no one...no one..."  One
final soaring guitar line, then a few seconds of silence, and then
suddenly *applause* -- understated, as if the crowd is in shock.  What
sounded like private thoughts turned out to be a live performance.  I
don't know why, but this moment literally made me misty-eyed (without
fail) the first several times I heard it.

I find myself frequently getting choked up in moments of hesitation or
gaps of silence.  The bit in "Stars of Track & Field" before the trumpet
part never fails to get me, for instance...

Then there's always American Music Club's middle period, which contains
some of the very saddest, most beautiful songs ever written.  How many
listmembers love "Everclear?"

mike, trying to delurk as much as I can.
ciflux at aol.com
http://members.aol.com/ciflux/index.html