Sinister: Jamie Theakson's Crappy Goatee Beard

Rod Begbie rod at xxx.com
Sun May 3 16:47:19 BST 1998

Bonjour Sinister, zis ees Edinburgh calling.  'eer are ze results of ze
Scotteesh jury...

First up, I just noticed on the list of subscribers that there's someone
with an e-mail address ending @elvis.murdoch.edu.au -- What are the
chances of that happening, eh?

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Sarah wrote:
> >Cheers,
> >    Keith.
> >
> >RrrrOooooOODDDddDdDnnEEeEeEeYyyyYYyy
>
> Keith is REALLY frightening me now......he is obseesed with rodddddney,

Well who can blame him?  He's only human, after all.

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Yaz wrote:

> love from Yaz (who every time she turns on the radio and hears that soddin
> Rockin' Robbie-i-am-a-big-fat-twat-William's song can't help but be mildly
> surprised that the man knows a word as long as...... "effigy").  Tis true.
> everytime.

I first heard that as "I'm a balloon effigy".  How cool would that be?  An
scale-model of Blobbie Robbie, made out of balloons?  It'd beat flipping
giraffes and sausage-dogs!

On Sun, 3 May 1998, jon g. wrote:

> B&S Content:
> Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be.....Stuart Murdoch.
> The audience clap as he disappears into the smoke and reappears as Stuart
> Murdoch.  With a belly.  And going bald.  With spots.  And a broken nose.

ROTFL.  Last night, for the first time this series, my favourite "Star
Guest" won.  A really cute and bubbly Paisley lass (bubbly in that
non-irritating way which only west-coast Scots can truly pull off)
performing as Belinda Carlisle.  YES!  I was in heaven. (which, as I'm
sure we are all aware, is a place on Earth)

> YES!  B&S on Stars In Their Eyes (apologies to none-UK people who won't
> understand that Stars In Their Eyes is a programme in which middle-aged
> housewifes from Derby and unemployed builders fromm Hull dress up as their
> idols and sing songs.  It's horriffic (spelling?))

It's fabulously kitsch, and Granada have sold the format world-wide.
There was a clip on the Eurotrash/Eurovision show last night (of which,
more later) of the Norwegian version, where the host is an all-singing,
all-dancing loon who puts Matthew Kelly to shame (and who once got Nul
Points in Eurovision)

> Camcorder home movies can be so much fun for all the family.

There are only two reasons why people ever buy camcorders:

1)  To film their holidays
2)  To make their own porn-flicks.

When I worked in Comet, we used to have games of "Guess which category
these customers fall into".

> When do you think the B&S tribute band will happen?  And what will they be
> called?  The Sinister Belles maybe.

"The Stars of Track & Field"
"The Foxes In The Snow"
"The Australian Belle & Sebastian"
"Hopkirk & Lee"
"The School Rulers"
"The Sleaze Testers"

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Rob B wrote:

> > >From the man at Rediffusion
>
> what is Rediffusion??

Associated Rediffusion were one of the first ITV companies in Britain, and
they used to run a TV Rental company.  Therefore, I assume, "The Man from
Rediffusion" was the telly repair bloke.

Of course, they now make aeroplane simulators for the military, so it
could be that...

So anyway, back to that Euro(Trash|Vision) thing last night.  Anyone else
watch this?  The Kenickies performed an astonishing version of "Save All
Your Kisses For Me", which caused me to have a dream last night about
bumping into Lauren Laverne in the Stirling branch of Our Price.  As if
that wasn't entertainment enough, Banarararararama performed Waterloo,
wonderbra'd up to the chin, wearing wedding dresses, causing me to have my
first "Who's your favourite member of Banararararararararama?"
conversation since I was 9. (Siobbbbbbbhan, for those who care)

And watch, as I seamlessly seague that last paragraph into the closest
I've come to on-topic posting for months:

The Kenickies' new single has been reviewed in the latest issue of Select,
and in a hell-freezing-over style freak of probability, the reviewer
compares it to Belle & Sebastian (!!!).  I quote:

"Kenickie, somewhat inevitably, display a new 'mature' direction with
their first release in ages.  Gone is the shoutalong rowdiness of 'Punka',
replaced by a more melancholic sound with close affinities to Belle And
Sebastian - acoustic guitars, poignant lyrics ("I'm in pieces/Can no one
see it") and a glockenspiel finale.  As delightfully tuneful as anything
they've done to datre, and it's encouraging to hear that they haven't
abandoned the 'la la la' backing vocals even if they have to pretend to be
grown-ups now."

Next issue: Kula Shaker in "very like Delgados" shocker.

Later, pop chums!

Rod.

                                    Rod Begbie @ http://www.begbie.com |
.                 Nee nee mun pish, chan pai dee kwa