Sinister: Yes, what was Judy reading?

Schaffenberger kschaffe at xxx.edu
Mon May 4 17:30:36 BST 1998

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Pedro Rodrigues wrote:

> >does anyone have any idea of what the book is that Judy reads in Judy
> >and  the dream of horses?  Has anyone read the book featured on the
> > cover of If  You're Feeling Sinister?
>
> I think the book on the cover is Kafka's "The Trial". I didn't read it but I saw
> the movie (by Orson Welles, always impressive). It's about this guy who
> gets sued, and he doesn't know what for, and the State, that is suing him,
> don't know what they suing him for either. He fights it as much as he can,
> and the end he gets convicted and killed (I think).
>
> It's pretty senseless actually, the trial is probably a metaphor for Life,
> where you get thrown into it without being consulted about it, get hassled
> all the way through it, and in the end you're just condemned to die, never
> knowing what for. That could be Kafka's view, I find it interesting as a good
> description of the human situation, not to say everything is pointless but
> rather to get people to ask the questions that need to be asked.

  THE TRIAL is also a metaphor for free will or something like that.  I
did actually read it in Jewish Lit last semester, but it runs together
with my other readings...  And Kafka, well, he doesn't make a lot of
sense anyway.  Boo to him.  Maybe Judy was reading some of those
Marguerite Henry books like MISTY OF CHINCOTEAGUE that were sooo popular
when i was in fifth grade.  I read them all.  My favorite was about a
Lipazzaner Stallion or some other type of white male show horse.  Or
maybe she was reading that Bridges of Madison County guy's book, THE
HORSE WHISPERER.  I hope I am not excommunicated from this list for these
jokey suggestions.

  -Kristen