Sinister: Tigermilk (My final word)

David Walker david.walker15 at xxx.net
Mon May 4 19:19:08 BST 1998

Hello,
Just wanted to round up a few points posted over the above subject in
the last day or so, I will then no longer pursue the discussion. There`s
loads of other things to talk about - light banter is always better than
serious debate !!

Anyway, here goes.....
Chris wrote...
 "People want to hear the music, we love the band, and wonder what the
big fuss is about."

This was a point I made in my original reply to Katrina. I am willing to
buy a copy on LP, even at a vastly inflated price, but it isn`t that
easy. So I need a copy. And as my CD player is more reliable than my
tape (which chews tapes randomly), I was hoping for a more long lasting
copy on there. I just want a playable copy of the album !

"Honey" wrote....
"David and Katrina have left the list now, which I think is a pity but
I guess they have their reasons - tangling the list up with
Jeepster's official position was always a problem "

I think it would have been nice, certainly from my point of view, for
them to have stayed and discussed the matter. I was sent a letter
telling me I was possibly going to be sued, and despite writing private
emails to both of them, no reply has so far been forthcoming. I have
sent a subsequent email saying that I will no longer pursue any type of
copy - digital or analogue - for fear that I will face legal
repercussions. Theoretically, if I get sued and successfully (highly
unlikely), so could a large number of you.

He continued (sorry this isn`t Tigermilk related !)..
"I did it for subjects too: no surprises for the number one slot here:

Tigermilk (39)"

What happened to Guy Chadwick/House Of Love lyrics ?

Joss wrote....
"The arguments (from digest 3/5/98) all seem to have been directed
rather personally at David and Katrina. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
isn't Katrina merely an employee of Jeepster?"

>From my point of view, I have only had contact with Katrina, a personal
email saying I was to be sued if I copied "Tigermilk". Granted she did
say that it was on behalf of Jeepster, but no argument was given as to
why. Of course it is infringement of copyright, but isn`t this an issue
when it is put onto tape ? I have no "axe to grind" with either of those
people, and have apologised to David for making his position on the list
uncomfortable, and I will apologise to Katrina when she explains herself
fully over the legal issues. I just feel like I am being made an example
of when many others have openly advertised for "Tigermilk" copies on
here for as long as I can remember.

Matt wrote....

"Also, Jeepster attempting legal action sounds to me a lot like "bark
bigger than bite" syndrome.  Even if Jeepster hand such funds to take on
such court battles, the idea of a fan making a personal copy (i.e. not a
grand bootlegging operation) would be laughed out of court in the US."

I am not going to claim any sort of legal expertise on this issue, but I
am just one year short of qualifying as a solicitor and know a few bits
and bobs, enough to realise that theoretically I could be sued if I did
undertake this action. Proving it (bearing in mind I don`t own the
equipment) would be a nightmare, the case itself would be a very unsafe
one to undertake (and could cost a lot of money for little reward) and
attempting to justify the action after almost encouraging taping onto
cassette in the past would effectively make it a non starter. As it
would be solely for personal use - well, I wouldn`t want to pursue that
kind of case. But I am not going to risk it. And as I said earlier, the
implications of a successful case would be very far reaching indeed.

Finally, Sarah wrote....
"FOR GODS SAKE! Jeepster is a COMPANY! it needs to make profits, and the
oooh, STAYING LEGAL thing might help them in, um, SURVIVING?"

They would make a lot more in rereleasing "Tigermilk" on LP and CD than
suing me. The only things I have of worth are my old Sarah Records
stuff, a few other records, this computer, a couple of books and my
sanity. I don`t think that lot would secure the shareholders a foreign
holiday.

My last "Tigermilk" post.....but not my last post,
Cheers,
David (Master criminal of olde Bolton town).
--
David Walker

Paul Weller Links And Information:
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/6411/links.html