Sinister: DC picnickers, NY division

bp benjamin at xxx.com
Mon May 4 20:25:13 BST 1998

It seems that all earlier efforts at arranging travel via rented
automobile to Our Nation's Lovely Capital for the sinister picnic at Pam
Berry's house have collapsed under the pressure of flakiness and general
wanking about.

For those who like me are eager to drink beer in a different city and/or
bask like young lions in the sun while tolerating the presence of others
of the Belle and Sebastian mob, the Greyhound coach company has hatched a
fiendish scheme to haul us there.

If one buys a ticket at normal price three days in advance, one is
entitled to bring one's friend along for free, gratis, like so much
carry-on luggage, assuming one's friend maintains the same itinerary as
one's self.

As the cost of a round-trip Greyhound ticket between New York's
fresh-lemon-scented Port Authority Bus Terminal and Washington is $56,a
person would pay a mere $28, provided said person has an accomplice, to go
from the big city to Swamp-on-the-Potomac. The deadline is WEDNESDAY, so
hop to it.

We must, therefore, travel in pairs. If you are a stray die (as am I)
looking for a travelling comrade from NYC to the picnic this weekend,
please e-mail me directly.

Anyone interested as well in sitting with the away support as the
brave rojo y negro of the Metro attempt to gub the DC filth at RFK Stadium
in a fiery but doubtless ineptly-played soccer match can join me the
evening of the picnic. Previous encounters between the good guys and the
evil scum to the south have featured: rampaging Polish hooligans, pitch
invasions, rocket attacks on the Metro dugout, countless offside goals, a
"Warriors"-esque jaunt through the pitch-dark RFK car park, the sight of
Marco "El Diablo" Etcheverry offering the Empire End in NY a one-fingered
salute, the NY supporters forced onto the pitch at the end of play last
April by a charge of 500 DC bastards, and an aggregate score over two
years of 19-18 for the Metro.

BENJAMIN