Sinister: Picnic!

The Tall Git skg21 at xxx.uk
Tue May 5 14:16:01 BST 1998

In which one person talks about the picnic yesterday, in a desperate
attempt to end the embarrasment of being level with Northy in the posting
league...

This is the story of fifty-two people (beat that Glasgow!), more food
than we could eat, a partcularly poor game of football, and far too much
alcohol for some people...

We all arrived in the sunshine of Camden High Street, asked people their
names, and then promptly forgot them again. We then marched up to Primrose
Hill, admired the view, and then the sun disappeared for the rest of the
day. Oh well. JJ's picnic blanket was filled with all sorts of food, from
homemade cakes to kiwi fruits and a mango (yes, really). We all then ate
as much as we could, chatted to a random assortment of people, and played
a few games (David is far too good at Connect 4. Definitely a sign of a
misspent youth. I beat him at Twister though...). We whiled away a
leisurely afternoon rescuing kites from lampposts, talking about
everything under the sun (except the sun wasn't there, but you get the
picture), and playing football. Actually that last one might be a bit of
an exageration, the only people who could play football were the local
kids who joined in. The pastel team were champions, and we came last by
quite a long way.

By about 5.30, a few people had started to drift away, and it was decided
to leave the windy hill behind and head for a pub in Camden. We couldn't
actually get in the pub, it being a bank holiday, so we sat on the
pavement/road outside and drank there. Then the landlord threatened us
with the police for drinking our own beer outside his pub, so we went
and sat on the other side of the road instead. Rob B (I think) had
thoughtfully brought his guitar with him, so we sat around having a
sing-song of a B&S-nature, thus getting lots of funny looks from
passers-by. And in true Stuart Murdoch style, we kept forgetting the
words.

After a while, we ran out of songs that anyone could remember, and so
everyone regrouped outside the pub and played charades. And told some
truly awful jokes. A chip-shop run by David & Katrina ensued, followed by
more and more drinking. At this point most people gradually dispersed,
leaving a collection of people who were enjoying themselves too much /
were too drunk to go home.

I'll leave it to others to relate in a more amusing fashion the other
stories from the evening (such as Susannah and the dodgy bike bloke? And
how two kiwi fruits ended up under a car on the other side of the road?),
as I wasn't 100% sober myself by the end of it all. So a big thankyou to
D&K for organising it all (even though they're not here anymore), and to
everyone who brought themselves and their food, and to all the wonderfully
nice people I met (too many to name, and anyway I promised not to name any
wild African animals...), and especially to our Scandinavian friend
Elizabeth for providing the entertainment.

Let's do it again sometime! (After exams would be nice...)

Stuart G